In 1769 George and Eleanor Coade bought a factory manufacturing artificial stone in southeast London on a at Pedlar’s Acre, south the river. The family were running a successful factory in the south-west of England. Within a year of moving the capital, George Coade died, leaving his wife and daughter to on the business. The Coade Stone they perfected to become the most permanent stone ever made. The product developed by the factory’s former , Richard Holt, was a kind of baked clay. The two women with his recipe, and in creating a new kind of stone which was almost a hundred percent weather-proof.